vegan chocolate cake
makes 12 servings
160g plain flour
200G light brown sugar
40g unsweetened cocoa power
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract (or 1 vanilla bean)
225ml warm water
50ml vegetable oil
30ml maple syrup
1 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 100g light brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons (60g) vegan margarine
- 2 tablespoons chocolate or vanilla soya milk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa power
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
Prep:15min › Cook:30min › Extra time:2hr cooling › Ready in:2hr45min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4. Lightly grease a ring style or a 20cm (8 in) square tin. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, cocoa, bicarb and salt with a fork, making sure it's really well blended.
- In a separate bowl mix together the wet ingredients then combine with the dry, using a fork until well mixed.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for about 30 minutes or until well risen and a skewer comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack (about 2 hours).
For the glaze:
- In a small saucepan, slowly bring the sugar, cocoa, margarine and soya milk to the boil. Stir frequently. Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 minutes stirring continuously. It will look a bit "gloopy", but don't worry, it's just the bubbles!
- Remove from the heat and continue to stir for a further 5 minutes. It will begin to thicken. Add the vanilla then immediately pour over the cake. The glaze dries very quickly so spread it immediately! Let it cool for a further hour (if you can wait that long!!).
For an extra chocolaty kick, add a packet of choc chips!